my beach bedroom

This is my bedroom. It didn't always look like this though. When I first bought this house, this room (an addition) was just painted sheet rock. Kinda boring, it was painted a sand color and was carpeted in berber. It worked for the previous owners but not for me. heck, I had just moved to the beach. I wanted my room to feel like an old cape cod, house (just coming from Boston) See the window? that was an open arch. in fact there were three in a row. I replaced them with these windows from an architectural salvage yard. I didn't scrape them down. I left them as was. The one in the middle is a transom window. The door is 'new' too. It replaced an even larger arch. I wasn't too keen on having no door to my "baththrone". The door is something that I found in the basement of my Boston house. It's probably over 100 years old. I figured nobody would miss it and lugged it out to Cali. Back to the story of my room. I hired this guy (no. I'm not kidding.L.A. can be good that way): to come and nail 1x6s on the walls. There was a moment, before it was sprayed white, that it resembled a few cabins I've seen in Tahoe. 70s in a not-good way. I was nervous. but after underwear-guy, painted it I was SO thrilled. It's exactly how I had pictured it in my head. I love it to this day! It makes my heart happy to wake up in. and I really believe, that your bedroom should always have this effect. underwear-guy is happily married living in honolulu

Comments

Style Court said…
I love how you brought soul to this room. Love the windows, the airy feeling. Plus I so agree about being happy to wake-up in a place :)
MilkMaid said…
I LOVE this bedroom and have been pondering this entire painted board thing on the walls as well. I'm SO gonna do it now..hope it turns out half as great as yours did. Wonderful bed!
Rechelle said…
Wow - beautiful room. Also beautiful man... Friend of Bart and Jenny's. They told me to stop by and say hi. I always do what I am told.
sfgirlbybay said…
tom h, right? i remember him from manhattan beach - The Sports Center in the 80's - good times. ;)

oh, and the bedroom is lovely as always - the paneling was an excellent plan!
72 and sunny said…
sfgirlbybay; YES! that's the man. not only is he beautiful, he's super nice. my neighbor had to tell me who he was (when he worked for me)once i realized that he was underwear guy from my college dorm wall, i was all shy and embarrassed around him. i blush easily.
72 and sunny said…
rechelle! i'm so glad that you do as you are told! and wow, names from the past. please say 'hello' for me.
Anonymous said…
what an absolutely beautiful bedroom (and everything a beachy bungalow should be)!

Popular Posts