blackapple

one of my favorite artists on etsy is emily martin of theblackapple shop.
she has a great blog as well which you'll find here. her look is very blythe! doll, vintagey, big eyed keane faced and generally somber with a touch of whimsy. well, at least that's how i see it.
one of her book recommends is 'the lonely doll'. which i grew up with and was always deeply disturbed by. however, this, i believe has a big influence on her art. in a good way. there's something creepy about the book but it's wrapped in this happy vintage pink gingham. so you can't really stop looking.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You know about the biography written about Dare Wright, author/creator of The Lonely Doll books; published a couple of years ago, right? Fascinating. Pictures and a history that may clear some things up for you.
72 and sunny said…
yep i've read it. it was interesting and totally made the creep factor more understandable.
I love this artist's work, I found it last month when I was looking through Etsy.
Anonymous said…
Oh, oh, I read the biography too. The whole gig freaked me out. And, hey, isn't "there is a light that never goes out" part of a Cure song? Is it the Cure? I've always secretly loved it.

Popular Posts