Monday, August 6, 2007

blackapple

one of my favorite artists on etsy is emily martin of theblackapple shop.
she has a great blog as well which you'll find here. her look is very blythe! doll, vintagey, big eyed keane faced and generally somber with a touch of whimsy. well, at least that's how i see it.
one of her book recommends is 'the lonely doll'. which i grew up with and was always deeply disturbed by. however, this, i believe has a big influence on her art. in a good way. there's something creepy about the book but it's wrapped in this happy vintage pink gingham. so you can't really stop looking.

5 comments:

Sparkie said...

You know about the biography written about Dare Wright, author/creator of The Lonely Doll books; published a couple of years ago, right? Fascinating. Pictures and a history that may clear some things up for you.

beachbungalow8 said...

yep i've read it. it was interesting and totally made the creep factor more understandable.

Sarah Jennings said...

I love this artist's work, I found it last month when I was looking through Etsy.

anne said...

Oh, oh, I read the biography too. The whole gig freaked me out. And, hey, isn't "there is a light that never goes out" part of a Cure song? Is it the Cure? I've always secretly loved it.

beachbungalow8 said...

the smiths i think sang that.

the B to the Log

it's all about me, really.

My photo
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
editor | interior designer | podcast personality | social media pollinator