"trying to look good limits my life"

truth be told, i cringe when someone i know has found some life changing book, or program (air quotes) that requires (self requires) them to share with me (the sacker at vons or any one else they come in contact with for the next 2 months) their lofty platitudes. not that i don't need to hear the obvious and certainly, NOT complaining. just sayin'. that said, THIS is not one of those life changing books, but rather a witty and brilliantly designed art book that's as much fun to read as it is to look through. artist/designer stefan sagmeister's book, 20 Things I have learned in my life so far , started as a list in his diary during a year-long commercial hiatus. eventually, he took these realized 'wisdoms' and created public installations, photographing them and eventually publishing them in this highly designed, folio of 15 booklets, filled with these personal truths. here are a few of my favoroties-all of which, i need to print out, and tape to the back of my hand.
Complaining is silly. Either act or forget.
Over time I get used to everything and start taking it for granted.
Trying to look good limits my life.
Worrying solves nothing.
the book itself is, absolutely, beautiful and fun. the laser-cut "box" of 15 booklets with unique covers can be switched to transform the look of the case from creepy to lovely.

Comments

My husband quotes or mentions Stefan Sagmeister on an hourly basis. His work is incredibly cool, even if I must roll my eyes and shudder at the ongoing hero worship.
72 and sunny said…
his work is really cool. i'd be right there with you eye rolling. although, i'm sure i'd be a more balanced person if i actually lived a few of these quotes.
/// said…
I do absolutely love this book!!! :)

Popular Posts