The quiet, beauty of still life painting. Abstract Realist, Paul Wonner

Garden Chairs and Lunch Table
Painter Paul Wonner, generally associated with the "Bay Area Figurative" style of painting, was the creator of beautiful, quiet works of art in a palette so rich and clear you want to reach out , grasp it, and feel the depths of the color, the textures of paint.
I keep a few of my favorites on my desktop, bringing them up to soothe my soul when needed.
the waiter
His work was regarded in the same school as the originators of the Bay Area Figurative style, which included, David Park (1911-1960) and Richard Diebenkorn (1922-1993)
Dutch Still Life with Stacked Objects and Telephone (detail)
"He painted in a brushy manner similar to theirs until the late 1970s, when his style turned crisp, emphasizing bright light and sharp shadows, and he concentrated on still life themes.

Comments

Karena said…
Megan, I love the fact that Paul was open to changing his style, as you know I am experimenting with different mediums in art. I also am a huge fan of Diebenkorns works.
72 and sunny said…
oooh. Diebenkorn is one of my all time faves too.
I'm glad this resonated with someone! I was sitting here, yesterday, with the image of the garden chair and lunch table up on my screen as I worked. It felt so soothing to work next to, that I had to share!
mary said…
I love this style of painting--he also must have drawn inspiration from the Spanish realism of the Baroque tradition and perhaps the "new school of Spanish realism"--thanks!
Anonymous said…
thanks for introducing a wonderful artist I was not previously familiar with! And LOVE the pink bedroom, by the way...

Suzanne on St. Simons
Mélanie said…
I haven't heard about this artist before. I love his work , his first painting is so peaceful , I love its ambiance

Popular Posts