vivian maier:: unearthed

I ran across this blog the other day and find myself going back and back to take another look.
The haunting works of gritty street photographer Vivian Maier were discovered in a Chicago storage space whose contents were being auctioned off after delinquent payments.
Purchased by John Maloof, the 30- 40, 000 negatives, had been sitting, boxed and forgotten for years until Maloof began the process of sorting through, printing and researching the mystery of who Vivian Maier was.
The blog is a posthumous retrospection of the work of an indelible, prolific artist who managed not only to capture the man on the street, but deep emotion and something beyond the visage of an everyday pedestrian.
Maloof did a little research on Maier and the results are on his site as is a continuous update of her work.

Comments

preppyplayer said…
I am a big Arbus fan, and am interested in checking out Maier's work. ( reminds me of Arbus)
love this time period of street photography-gritty and real.
Karena said…
This is fascinating Megan. I just checked out the site and what amazing images!
city pretties said…
These are absolutely sublime. I forwarded them to a photographer friend in NYC who has done some street work. I'll send you the link.

Gorgeous stuff, Megan!
city pretties said…
These are absolutely sublime. I forwarded them to a photographer friend in NYC who has done some street work. I'll send you the link.

Gorgeous stuff, Megan!
Becky said…
These are sublime, Megan.
72 and sunny said…
aren't these so cool? I think I'd be obessessed if I were Maloof. One of my favorite things to find at estate sales are boxes of slides and old photos. These are taking it to another level.

P- Your Arbus comment was so inline w/ what I was thinking!
Alicia said…
This made my day. What wonderful treasures.
Cheers! -A.
Becky/City Pretties said…
Sorry for the multiples. I couldn't get it to post. I thought.

Popular Posts