John Gillon ebay find

Great, John Gillon, Jacaranda wood chair and ottoman on ebay...
Romanian born, John Gillon was a Brazilian furniture maker in the 50s and 60s with a background in Fine Arts and a degree in Architecture. Perhaps, best known for his work in local Brazilian hardwoods. This use of organic materials used in a highly engineered design style, takes furniture to fine art level.
This chair reminds me of the bridges designed by Santiago Caltrava:
Puente del Alimillo made for the expo '92 in Seville.
I had no idea that all of the Jacaranda trees that are coming into bloom this time of year all over L.A. with their sticky, but beautiful purple blooms, were a beautiful hardwood

Comments

Yolanda said…
The purple blooms are goregous.
marygrace said…
How cool!! And I love those trees, too:)
Wow, how cool. Have never seen that furniture before - it's amazing, love it.

We have lots of Jac's here in Oz too - never knew they were used for timber!
Style Court said…
Love all these juxtapositions Megan.
Marija said…
Totally cool. And blooming trees - I clearly need to get out of the midwest!
Michelle said…
Those trees are beautiful! The west coast girl in me loves that chair...it feels like a fishing net.

The cherry blossoms are starting to bloom here...that's how warm it has been...this is feakin Canada@!#$#@! It usuall doesn't happen for a month at least.

Great ebay find.

Best,
Michelle
rozek said…
not gonna lie,I just did the Happy Dance. Yes Iam a virgin blogger and may I just say THANK YOU! for checking me out. I have loved reading your site privately.
Karena said…
When I lived in San Diego I loved seeing the jacaranda Trees in bloom. Beautiful find!
Gwen Driscoll said…
The chair is really awesome. So love a great ebay find. I don't have time to peruse like I used to. So sad! Hope you are having a good week.
urban flea said…
what a brilliant chair, such a great find! thanks for sharing, and i hope you're having a wonderful week!

xo urban flea :)
http://www.urbanfleadesign.net

Popular Posts