'...it's like still photography on speed'

One of the very, few {if only} commercials that has caught my eye, in ohhhhh... probably the past 5 years is the stop motion spot for Amazon's Kindle. What grabbed me was the vintage saturation of the images, the hand made quality and that stop motion method that has awed me and piqued my curiosity since Davie & Goliath kept me company on Sunday mornings.
The ad, shot by the beautiful & immensely talented photographer, Angela Kohler and her adorable boyfriend, photographer Ithyle Griffiths, was amazingly created in 7 hours.
I recently ran across another piece of their stop motion work on Angela's website {starring and music by, 'a fine frenzy'}
When you watch these things, don't you wonder how they shoot them? In doing a little more investigating {actually I was trying to find the above short on Vimeo - a much better way to view videos} I ran across this interview with the Angela and Ithyle: It's a little lengthy {13 minutes - but worth it }

A sit down on the set with Angela Kohler and Ithyle Griffiths from Lou Lesko on Vimeo.

I'll share a few of the highlights- Angela and Ithyle made the ad as an entry for a contest held by Amazon. Having never before shot a stop motion film {is that crazy?}, the two of them created it, with minimal equipment and no live feed. Meaning, they had no way of seeing what they were actually filming until it was done. Annie Little, the blonde woman featured in their Kindle ad, not only starred in the spot, but also wrote and sang that great little tune, 'Fly Me Away'.
Perfectly beautiful and extarordinary talented- someone hit the lottery of life.
......................................................................................................................................
oh, and, I still don't know how they do this.
preppy player just alerted me of Angela Kohler's great blog

Comments

speaking of commercials, check out my last blog post and watch the olympic car commercials then the outtakes...
camdesign-interiors.blogspot.com
Made my sunday morning when I found them online...
Karena said…
Really, that first image blew me away. Oh and I just watched Amelia....what an amazing woman and movie! Great videos!

Karena
Art by Karena
mary said…
Beautiful art form. It creates such a deep soul-level impact. Thanks.
preppyplayer said…
Inspired AND jealous of their talent.
Love her blog, http://angelakohler.blogspot.com/
Tracy Watier said…
Thank you so much, Megan. I love this commercial (and have you seen the new one starring a boy?) for its quirkiness as much as the talent and technology of it. I'll come back and watch the videos when I can really pay attention... can't wait to learn "how they did that" (not that I'll get it either!)
Susan Dench said…
I always love the behind-the-scenes stuff, and having worked with professional photographers am always amazed at how much time goes into getting the perfect shot!

Popular Posts