Bangin' the Drum with EmersonMade. :: The Interview ::

If you haven't seen a post on the house and folks behind the flourishing brand, EmersonMade. , you haven't been doing your blog due diligence. Because, in recent months, Emerson and Ryan { husband + wife team behind the brand } livers of a creatively quirky whimsical lifestyle - have been featured on every other blog, East and West of the Mississippi -including this one. And why not. Everything about them is intriguing and enviable. So, after, sifting through their site, staring at every detail of their photo shoots, I had to know, WHO are these people? Are they real or is this one big marketing ploy? DO they really live this way or is there a larger creative force behind the two? I asked them to answer some of my nosy questions and Ryan and Emerson were kind enough to indulge.
.........................................................................................................
ok, ready? here we go
Yes hello Megan! BigR and I will be doing this interview together! He is Blue and I am this Pink! Thank you Megan!
First of all, Emerson, your name seems too perfect to be real. Is that your real name? { Living in Los Angeles, this is a totally normal question }
hahaha, thank you that’s a nice thing to say! My full name is Emerson Bethany. People have called me both names all my life and I’ve always favored Emerson and so for the company I chose Emerson. Shorter!
I think we're all curious about both of your backgrounds. In particular ,Ryan's photography, Emerson's styling. Can you tell us about what each of you were doing before starting EmersonMade?
Emerson was (is) a classical painter by training. Ryan ran several companies. Yes! That is a fantastically succinct answer Ryan! Well done BigR!
Your line started with Emerson making and selling handmade linen flowers. What inspired you to create them?
At the time I made the first ones I was painting a great deal of Peonies when we were living in nyc. The flowers were created initially as a way to better understand the construction of flowers so that I could paint them better. Try to recreate them in my mind the way architect might do with a model replica. But the flowers were great and I started wearing them. People started asking me about them and we were off to the races. The company was never intended to be a flower company but instead a launch pad to something bigger. Our best stuff is yet to come…..
The idea of selling fabric flowers is not new, but you all have done a tremendous job at marketing them and creating a lifestyle brand around
these accessories. It's much bigger than just a line of handmade product. It seems to be a way of life that you're marketing. Was there a plan in place to go this direction or did it unfold organically?
Oops I kind of answer that one above. {That's ok, blog interviews have a tendency to get stepped all over, it's just their nature } But yes, flowers by themselves aren’t the scope of the brand but they are a Loved Part of the brand. yes that is a good point you made about way of life, we are most often telling a story about a way of living in EmersonMade, a lifestyle. In particular one that’s genuine and real.
Do you guys really live the way your photos portray that you do?
Hahaha, yes! That is all our life in the photos. As the companys grown we continue to show life on daily basis. Lately we show whats happening in nyc as the 2011 line is completed.
Before going out on a photo shoot, do you have a "story line" that you try to produce in visual images?
That’s a very good question! Yes I almost always have a very clear vision about what I am trying to tell. No one has ever asked me that before.
Speaking of organic, can you tell us about your fabulous farm house? Is that pantry always so perfect?
Thank you so much Megan, that is very kind! The pantry is as you see it! We do not have any storage other than the pantry area so that is our place for foods! We raise our own animals on the farm and are growing our orchard, berry patches, and vegetables ready for market this year. Yes! Ryan does an enormous amount of work on the farm- he astounds me every day with his industriousness!
We are certified organic and all our animals are pastured raised heritage breeds. they are happy animals also, very loving!
Your home has been featured in so many design blogs because it's so darn charming. Is there any chance there will be an Emerson Made for the house?
Thank you Megan what a nice thing to say! We do have a number of new product lines coming out in 2011 and 2012 for Home
We've watched as your business has blossomed into a full on, clothing line. Can you tell us about what influences your style?
The biggest influences are my favorite era’s for womens fashion, not to mention social and political change for women: the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. great combinations of sexy and classic for formal and casual. Powerful women doing powerful things. These three era’s encompass so many incredible options, and Woman want to look good and have options!
I design pieces I want in my own closet depending on the woman I need to be that day. We all have so many sides to our personality, so many things we can do, lives we are made to live, characters we are in different moments.
I am designing for all of those. It’s the transformative power of clothes that I’ve always loved, the story we tell. Open your closet and choose your destiny.
Bang Your Drum.
Emerson, what's the tat on your wrist?
it was from a long time ago. It was symbol, but it means strength.
If EmersonMade created a mixed tape, what/who would be on it? playlist please...
this is a great question! if you were doing every day entertaining we use mostly old records. So Benny Goodman, duke ellington, theloneous monk, willie nelson to name a few. But if you needed a tape for running and working out the upbeat du jour of current pop stuff. I have little bits of dance music and things I don’t even know the name of but you’d know them because they’re on the radio and they make you want to drive fast and get tickets so you can flirt with the Cops! I joke! They play them in stores where there’s lots of Tweens running around. You know Tween!? Is that the word. Forgive me if that is not the word. Ryan where are you I’m rambling!
If Emerson Made created a scent (candle, perfume etc), what would it smell like.
Megan you are looking into your crystal ball again! funny that you ask this question because of something we’re working on right now for 2012 .. . in the spirit of BigR You will have to wait and see ;)
A perfect weekend at Emerson Farm would be....
One where we aren’t working the whole way through! record playing, good foods making, hand holding, loading up the rifle for target shoot and hot tea after, dinner party, afternoon nap, sunrise run, moonfall sleep, peepers in spring, fireflys in summer, snowstorms in winter Just relaxing and maybe imagining it all instead while I sit on the steps and talk to the birds
And finally, you look like one tall drink of water. Mind sharing your height ? {coming from someone barely grazing 5' 6" I have a feeling I'm going to have major height envy }
You are about the same height :-) Emerson is 5'8"
seriously? I think we all thought she was around 6'.
It must be those awesome, EmersonMade. clothes. Dressing tall is key to glamour.
thanks again for hanging with me and answering some nosy questions. You guys are the bomb. I want to be you in my next life. You're the perfect example of creative, earth loving, glamorous, foot loose and fancy free while being tremendously chic. xo Megan
..............................................................................
you still there? I'm more intrigued than I was before. They're the real deal. Do you think they'd adopt a 40 something year old blogger who can do a mean chicken imitation?

Comments

I want to move in with them too! Love that they have a farm and produce most of their own food. Love the clothing too.

xo,
cristin
Briana Arlene said…
Thanks for the interview! I had been wondering the same thing for over a year now - EmersonMade's life looks too ideal. There has to be some thin, wrinkled, cigarette-smoking man behind the gorgeous clothes, exsquisite model, and staged farm. I am so glad to read that it is all REAL!
Hi Megan, Loved the interview. I want the flowers, the clothes and the life! And I could definitely live in that farmhouse.......maybe they'd like to adopt an artist, too?
Paul said…
What a great interview. These two seem like an incredible couple. I'm sure you had a blast!
Aimless Olive said…
well done!!!
you asked all the questions I would have asked, and then some!
LOVE that she is a classically trained painter...now I want to see her work!
hmmm, could it be...do I smell a new fav perfume in my future...???
emily said…
You said it, everything about them IS enviable. I want to be them, but bring my hubs and kids with me :)
Anonymous said…
WOW!! love the interview!!! great job!! :)
I saw their house through another blog and fell in love, I am re-doing mine just because of that!! {just kidding,I wish :P}
niki said…
Great interview. I love getting to know this fabulous team behind EmersonMade. Your questions were fantastic.
Great interview... she is indeed building a real and well thought out brand. I can't wait to get my new dress I just ordered.....

xxx

CEO
Tonia said…
I want to know how they do it all. Farming, blogging, making things by hand to sell, traveling to NYC to work on a clothing line, all the while keeping their house THAT CLEAN AND CUTE??? How do two people accomplish all that? My husband and I are embarking on the hobby-farm journey this spring, getting our first flock of chickens and following them with goats, sheep, and horses. Also a huge garden. It'll be a full-time job, practically! Wondering how they balance all the elements of their life, since soon we will be in the same boat. So inspiring!
Karen said…
I'd like that lifestyle, where do I sign up...if they adopt you will you please take in some hangers on? :-)
Karen
GREAT interview! Love them and their style so much. When they adopt you can I be your sister?
Stephanie Sabbe said…
they are so cute, I could look at pictures of them all day. they are on the top of my "want to be invited to a dinner party" list.
*** said…
What a great interview - loved reading every single word of it. I have been curious about their life just like you. And if they are the real deal as you are saying, then that makes them a million times cuter. I definitely have a crush on that couple!
Kelle Dame said…
So they ARE real!! Loved this interview! I nearly die every time I see an article on them!
Great work!
VICTORIA BELLOW said…
Breathtaking views!outstanding Shots..i enjoyed reading the interview portion so great...and love the post so much.Gorgeous all Images.thanks for sharing.
Shelly said…
Fantastic interview! I LOVE those napkins on the table... I see a little DIY project coming on!
Delishhh said…
WOW - great interview. Very interesting. I could live there. .
dagmara said…
Emersonmade is my style idol. She's beyond chic. I wish them infinite success. I really think they have it in them to become as big a brand as Kate Spade is.
Lisa Porter said…
Megan,
Thanks for the interview. It's refreshing to know that you can fall in love with a product that has a voice like Emerson's does, and it's the real deal, not just marketing!
Love your new banner too!
xo Lisa
rikshaw design said…
wonderful interview! i love them! can i be her?
Anonymous said…
Megan, thanks so much for posting more about Ryan and Emerson! Their blog, style, and brand are one of those rarities that just snatch you right up! It's inspiring to see someone producing such an effective brand!
julia wheeler said…
great interview! i'm even more obsessed/intrigued with them now!

Popular Posts