House Beautiful July/August issue is Big on Small space design

 


The July/August issue of House Beautiful is called "Big Style, Small Spaces" and man, does this speak to my heart as I'm sure, to many of yours. I've had my XL, my Lg and my Med. house. Out of all of those, I've lived the longest in my little XS abode - 1,800 sq feet including a garage. And even through the frustration of 'where to put it all',  it's really the best little house I've ever owned.


 
If you're someone like me, who grew up playing with doll houses long after you were "supposed" to be doing such childish things, owning a small house is kinda like living in a doll house that you can arrange and rearrange with your every whim.
Some do this with paint and furniture, others attack the architecture of negative space and add more where there isn't so much.  L.A. based designer, Mark Egerstrom's house, is a great study in this principle.




Egerstrom  doubled the size of his original 600 sq ft house to create this modern, organic, ruggedly elegant space that's filled with light, bringing the outside in and utilizing every last inch, including the landscape and roof.




The issue will  hitting stands next week and features other amazing tricks and hints of the tiny living trade. It also has a terrific Q + A by David Keeps that you won't want to miss. This is one that will be tucked into my beach bag for some good summer reading. I can never get enough of small space living done well. Photos via House Beautiful by Lisa Romerein

Comments

Squeak said…
Holy cow - If you think of an 1,800 square foot home as extra small, my 1,400 square foot home must be considered miniscule! And here I am thinking it's a big house.
72 and sunny said…
thanks Joni!

Squeak,It's all relative, isn't it? I always remind myself that if this family of 4 lived in NYC this would be a huge apartment.
Looking forward to it! Going smaller is really appealing at my age!
Pam said…
dang. Took me 5 years to find this blog, but wow...sometimes the wait is worth it.
Anonymous said…
1400 is not XS, I will tell you that.

Popular Posts