ink & spindle ~ handpainted textiles

I once tried to screen-print a cup cake design on 10 little t-shirts to use as party favors for my two year old's birthday. It was hard: fumbly and messy, and not at all accurate. The design was the least of my problems, the mechanics of my little table top screen printer had me feeling as though I was doing it all wearing mittens. In short, it didn't really work.
Whenever I see hand printed fabrics, I get a little weak in the knees. The Australian design house, Ink & Spindle is one of my favorites always. They consistently create beautiful, simple designs.
Ink & Spindle, is a boutique screen-printing studio run by three Melbourne textile designers – Lara Cameron, Bianca van Meeuwen and Tegan Rose. Beautiful, high quality, modern designs seemingly inspired by nature. The Birch Forest design might be my favorite:
I love seeing this fabric made into wearable art. {And I'd love this simple, pencil skirt}
photo courtesy of Assemblage
adorable frocks...
would make beautiful drapes for a window against a tonal wall.
visit their shop here:: ink & spindle
first four photos: Marcel Lee of Bulb Studios

Comments

TERI REES WANG said…
Ooh..I have some old silk screen frames that I never actually learned how to make work. This might be the fire under my butt!
Sarah said…
these fabrics are beautiful!
Meg said…
I also wish I could screen print! When graphic tee shirts started selling for $100 a pop, my brother in law and I thought we could start a business...I don't think we got past buying the book, "how to screen print". I have a huge Marimiko screen print in my living room....love. These ladies from Oz sure are talented!
Blue Muse said…
I would love to have that skirt! the birch forest is my favorite, too. I love screen printing - I'm off to see the shop! Thanks for the into!
xo Isa
mary said…
These fabrics are wonderful--the color and the depth of the image--simple and perfect. Thanks.
amy said…
beautiful. love it! i'm going to go check them out!
Mandi Johnson said…
I have some of their rooftops fabric laying on my dresser that I need to make into curtains for my bedroom! Perhaps I will tackle this project this week. I'll take this post as a sign. ;)
Karena said…
Megan, these are beautiful! The next class for me would be screen printing ..... wonderful!
Courtney said…
The birch trees are beautiful! What a great alternative to traditional stripes.
PrimeTimeMom said…
Gorgeous prints. I am definitely bookmarking the ink & spindle site. I loved seeing the process of the screening.
Unknown said…
Actually, screen printing technology is now a lot more advanced, and easy to operate. Maybe that's also why custom t-shirts are also becoming a lot more common

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/
Oh what sweet outfits. I love that fabric. What a process and it shows that a lot of work goes in to it.

I have also tried to screenprint many times before and have made only a mess.
These screen prints are gorgeous. And to think, I'd never heard of Ink & Spindle before! This made for the perfect introduction.
XX Kate "the NEO-trad"
P.S. Thank you as well for answering my question on The Skirted Roundtable this week. I was so pleased and touched to hear about each of your own design inspirations and mentors!
Ink and Spindle said…
Thanks so much for the feature, Megan! It's always a bit of a surprise to us when we hear such wonderful things about our work :)
Cheers,
Teegs
Tricia - Avolli said…
The birch forest pencil skirt is fabulous! I want one!

I remember learning to silk screen in my high school art class. I loved it so much that I thought I wanted to go into screen printing...never really went anywhere with that idea but I've also never forgotten it. Amazingly I saw my high school art teacher unexpectedly two weeks ago and we chatted about that class...amazing how certain things bring us back...like this post. Thanks!

Tricia - Avolli
Lara said…
Wow thank you so much for this lovely post!!!
God, I stumbled upon Lara Cameron's blog about a year ago and read the whole thing--backwards. Learning about how she basically went from crafting at home to opening up a legitimate textile print shop was really inspiring. I am a fan!

Popular Posts